Introduction to 3D Printing & 3D Design
In this interactive online workshop I’ll show you how to take your design idea and turn it into a 3D printed object! You’ll see a 3D printer in action. I will describe the manufacturing process, and the necessary considerations for designing something that can be easily and efficiently 3D printed. Then we’ll take a quick tour of some free 3D design apps. Finally we’ll design a simple object in Tinkercad and then go through the process of preparing it for 3D printing.
Takeaways from this workshop:
- Experience seeing an FDM 3D printer in operation, and understanding its limitations
- Determine which 3D design tool is best to create your design
- How to design your object so that it will print more reliably and efficiently
- The workflow to take your design from 3D design software, to 3D printer software, then to a physical 3D object
Note: This workshop will be presented via MS Teams' online meeting feature. You don't need to have the MS Teams app installed or an MS Teams account to participate. A link will be sent to participants who sign up here before the start of the session, and you can join the meeting in your browser (Google Chrome recommended).
Presented by: Mike Spears - MADLab, Elizabeth O'Brien - University of Toronto Scarborough Library
Related LibGuide: 3D Printing @ Gerstein + MADLab by Erica Nekolaichuk
- Wednesday, April 1, 2020
- 3:00pm - 4:00pm
- Time Zone:
- Eastern Time - US & Canada (change)