Research and Writing Seminar: Annotated Bibliographies Online
Research and Writing Seminars: Develop Your Scholarly Voice. Each session in this suite of four interactive seminars integrates the learning of academic research and writing skills and is taught by a librarian in collaboration with a writing instructor. The goal of each seminar is to help you develop your own voice as an emerging scholar by enabling you to identify, situate and substantiate your arguments in the context of the scholarly discussion taking place in your discipline. The seminars are designed for humanities and social sciences undergraduate students. Graduate students might wish to consider the research-related skills offerings in the Graduate Professional Skills Program.
Take any three (3) of the four (4) seminars to earn credit on your Co-Curricular Record.
The session addresses the “big picture” of the place of annotated bibliographies in the scholarly conversation, as well as “nuts-and-bolts” strategies for researching and evaluating books and articles to identify the best sources on a topic. Through short lectures, interactive class discussion and hands-on exercises, you will learn:
- To recognize different types of annotated bibliography assignments
- How annotated bibliographies fit within the broader framework of documentation and how various schools of documentation treat annotated bibliographies differently
- To define the scope of your research to make good choices about including and excluding sources
- To identify landmark or influential studies on your topic
Key terms for this session: Bloom’s Taxonomy, search strategy, background research, scholarly sources, popular sources, description & evaluation
Location: Online via Zoom. The link to the session will be sent to you in the confirmation email upon registration.
Other seminars in this series include:
- Critical Reading
- Writing to Cite
- Literature Reviews
- Monday, February 1, 2021
- 2:00pm - 4:00pm
- Time Zone:
- Eastern Time - US & Canada (change)
- St. George (Downtown) Campus
- This is an online event. Event URL will be sent via registration email.