Text Analysis Tasting Menu: A Sampling of Available Tools Online
Are you interested in analyzing large bodies of texts, or teaching text analysis in your class? Not sure what tools are available for you to use? Join us to learn about some of the major tools for text analysis at the University of Toronto. This “Tasting Menu” workshop will introduce participants to the Gale Digital Scholar Lab, Constellate, Proquest TDM Studio Visualizations and Workbench, and the Hathi Trust Research Centre’s Algorithms and Data Capsule.
This session will include a brief introduction to each tool, outlining the type of interface and what collections are included. It will provide an overview on how to access each tool and create an account. Via a live demo, participants will learn how to build a custom dataset for analysis, upload their own texts or code, select and run analyses, export results, and, when possible, collaborate on projects with others.
This workshop will also include an introduction to text analysis, and tips on how to select the appropriate tool for your use case. A summary table will be distributed to attendees, along with links to further resources for those wishing to explore a particular tool in more detail.
Please note that much of this demo is “pre-baked”, and no setup will be required prior to attending this workshop. Interactive workshops for many of the individual tools overviewed in this Tasting Menu are available via the Map & Data Library.
Map & Data Library workshops, such as this one, are a welcoming and inclusive environment for learning. To learn more, check out our Code of Conduct.
A link to join the event online will be sent to registrants.
- No requirements beyond basic familiarity with spreadsheets
- You do not need to know how to code for this workshop
- You do not need statistics or math for this workshop
- You do not need to install anything for this workshop – everything takes place in your internet browser
- Thursday, February 9, 2023
- 10:00am - 11:30am
- Time Zone:
- Eastern Time - US & Canada (change)
- St. George (Downtown) Campus
- This is an online event. Event URL will be sent via registration email.
- Data & Statistics Digital Tools Programming & Software